Moldy Rug in your Basement; what do I do?

When dealing with any style of mold the first thing to do would be to throw out the object(s) that is supporting the mold; in this case the rug. Letting anything sit and decompose because of mold isn’t healthy. The mold that will grow on that rug adds many pounds of allergens to the air each day.

Second thing to do would be to scrub down the floor with a mop using a 50/50 mix of bleach to water and let dry.

Whenever you work around mold, whether you’re sensitive to mold or not, make sure to wear proper eye, hand and clothing protection in order to not let your skin or eyes become irritated. If your skin does come into direct contact with mold, make sure to wash your skin with soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds.

Thirdly, this is the time to have a very thorough basement inspection. Ask yourself: where is the water/moisture coming into the basement? Am I running a dehumidifier to help filter the air and regulate the RH (relative humidity) in the basement? What other organic objects (boxes, bookshelves, wood, clothing, paper, etc.) is down here that might be feeding the mold?

By removing all the mold food you can easily gain control back of your basement. But don’t neglect the basement because of one small rug being moldy. This rug was a definite sign of issues in your basement that needed to be handled.

Contact your local basement-waterproofing expert in order to fully control any and all moisture in your basement. Controlling the moisture is a sure way to limit and even eliminate the mold content of your basement.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Moldy Rug in your Basement; what do I do?

  1. You do need to be very careful in removing and cleaning up mold, otherwise you will inadvertantly spread it and create more damage by spreading mold spores.

    I highly recommend a certified mold remediator who will contain the mold-contaminated area to prevent spreading. With the proper equipment, he will set up negative air to dispose of toxic mold spores while thoroughly drying the area. Once dried, the area is carefully wiped clean of mold spores. Care needs to be taken not to spread the spores.

  2. @Nick
    I totally agree! It happens all the time with dry wall. People think that if a surface is “not wet”, mold spores won’t come off it. Totally not true.

    I also fully agree that a certified mold remediator should be contacted for any mold removal. That’s just me.

    Thanks for the comment!

  3. You might get straight forward, upfront and detail scope
    of function. Even putting wet dishes in your kitchen cupboards will
    increase the moisture content that molds, mildews, and bacteria like
    to grow. To do this, use all three of these natural green methods.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s